“WIIFM is the stuff that shows how or why what you have to sell or say matters to those who you are trying to sell or say it too. It’s the value proposition, the thing that makes them realize that what you’re offering is worth their money or their time.
“Many times those who are closest to the message have a really hard time with extracting the WIIFM. It’s not because they don’t know what it is… it’s usually because they know it too well. They develop a Curse of Knowledge which can hinder their ability to look at the offering objectively and from the perspective of someone new, someone who has no insider knowledge or context to fall back on.”
To get better at this ask yourself:
- Who? To whom am I writing? What is their job? Age? Gender? Department? Responsibilities?
- What? Will make their motor run? Not my motor, theirs! Money? Safety? Productivity?
- Where? Are they in the company? Are they mobile? at home? on the 55th floor?
- Why? Why would they want to read my email? Why am I writing? What do I want?
- How? How can I get them interested in what I have to say?
- When? Is the best time to send stuff to them? When do I want them to respond?
Communicate their way not yours and they may begin to trust you and believe you really care.
ARGH! Cap’n John
Please write and let me know WIIFY! (FY = For You!)