- “Success is stumbling from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiasm.” — Winston Churchill
- “80% of success is just showing up.” — Woody Allen
- “Go on failing. Go on. Only next time try to fail better.” – Samuel Beckett
- “The outward person perishes, but the inward person is renewed day by day.” — Paul of Tarsus
What renews us? Why have we made it this far—through so many failures and even more successes? Is the answer:
- Sleep? A tee-shirt I saw today read: “Work Hard. Nap Hard.”
- Conversation? When was your last good one?
- Food? Answer: Tacos and chocolate pie (on my birthday).
- Water? and/or: Beer? Coffee? Wine? Tea? Pepsi? Coca-Cola? Iced Tea?
- Sports? Go Giants!
- Cap’n John’s Sealegs blogs? Argh, me hearty!
- Faith, hope, and love? They never fail.
- All of the above?
- Other? Add yours—
Correct answers: 7 & 8 (and maybe 9)!
Your RBQ (Resilience Bounce Quotient) is best increased through healthy relationships:
PERSONAL FACTOR: Investing in self-care and growth:
- See 7 & 8 (and maybe 9) above.
GROUP FACTOR: Belonging to a positive group:
- “People long to belong.”—Peter Block, Community: The Structure for Belonging
- “We are the average of the people we hang-out with.”—Jack Canfield, Chicken Soup for the Soul
FRIEND FACTOR: Close friendships:
- Who could you call at 3 AM, when you are struggling? Hint: It’s a person who wouldn’t shame, judge or try to fix you. Instead, they would listen and ask something caring like, “What do you need?”